Evaluating Cardiac Risk with LCHF Lifestyle
1 CEU Credit
1:00 pm PT/ 4:00 pm ET
Traditional definitions of cardiac risk are based almost exclusively on those following a low fat or a high carbohydrate diet. Therefore, it is unclear how well these definitions apply to the modern day LCHF lifestyle. This talk will explore the potential reasons why risk assessment should differ and potential reasons why they should stay the same. We will explore the relevant science and acknowledge the gaps in our knowledge.
- Understand how LCHF lifestyle may require a different definition of cardiac risk
- Understand the strengths and limitations of using LDL cholesterol and lipoproteins for assessing risk
- Understand a potential approach for following people on a LCHF diet for cardiovascular risk
- Understand the gaps in our current knowledge base and be able to have informed provider to patient conversations on a case by case basis, taking into account the dietary protocols being followed, as well as a variety of risk factors.
Dr. Bret Scher is board certified cardiologist and lipidologist who is the medical director at DietDoctor.com and also runs a preventive cardiology telemedicine practice.
He completed a preventive cardiology fellowship at Scripps Clinic in San Diego and has been in practice for over 15 years helping people reverse and prevent heart disease. He also has a passion for helping others prioritize their health and has run the Low Carb Cardiologist Podcast as well as The Diet Doctor Podcast, and authored a well-received book, Your Best Health Ever! The Cardiologist’s Surprisingly Simple Guide to What Really Works.
Dr. Scher believes in using low carb nutrition and lifestyle interventions to help people lead healthier and more productive lives. He also wants to spread greater understanding of the quality and limitations of nutritional research and how this applies to a low carb lifestyle, and how the conventional nutritional teachings are misguided for many people.
We do not live in a one-size-fits-all world, and therefore Dr. Scher prioritizes individualization and sustainability for each and every one of his clients. You can see more of Dr. Scher’s work at www.DietDoctor.com and the Diet Doctor Youtube Channel, and you can learn more about working with him as a patient at www.LowCarbCardiologist.com.
Disclosures relevant to the speaker:
This activity is not commercially supported.
Bret Scher, MD. FACC reports no relevant disclosures related to the planning or presentation of this activity.
- Medical Director at DietDoctor.com
- Author – Your Best Health Ever! The Cardiologist’s Surprisingly Simple Guide to What Really Works